Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What It Means to Be A Leader

Happy February! I hope this short (and cold) month finds you well! 

Throughout high school, one of my favorite after-school activities was sports. Now, you may be wondering what sports have to do with being a leader in the community, but in fact, there are many reasons why sports are a great way to build leadership skills. Let me take you back to my high school years.

Basketball became a sport I enjoyed playing since I was a little girl. I couldn't wait for basketball practice and for the season to begin. When I entered the upper girls league, however, I found that the middle and high school girls' leagues were combined. This was a surprise, as I have always been on teams where the players were of the same age. The combined leagues had girls from grades seven to twelve mixed together on the same team. Seventh grade basketball was not only a surprising reality, but also a fun year. I guess you could say that it became the year  that I realized what it takes to become a leader.

Being one of only two seventh graders on a team of high school students, I felt defeated. I was unfamiliar to the new league and that made me insecure about my abilities as a player. The first few games of the season were rough. I had to adjust to the new basketball court, new players, and a new team. Being the youngest, I worried that I would rarely see the ball in my hands. That all changed further into the season as we held weekly practices.

During practice, the high school players (our team captains) would help out the younger players and teach them techniques to improve their shooting, dribbling, and passing skills. They would stop in the middle of the drill to correct our hand positions, footwork, and defense skills, incorporating me into the plays and molding all of the players into an efficient team. Slowly, I saw myself becoming an improved player. 

Now, what is the point? Well, I followed their lead upon entering my freshman year of high school as I found myself to be one of two high school students on a team of mostly seventh graders (needless to say, I became team captain). Learning from my team captains, I showed up to practice with optimism and enthusiasm so that I could do my best in helping the seventh graders adjust to the new league. Yeah, it was tiresome and frustrating, but I learned throughout my four years as team captain that being a leader is about patience, strength, and the ability to demonstrate rather than inform. 

The first year as team captain allowed me to really think about the role of a leader. Although most of the time it was just working with the coach and assisting them with demonstrations, being a team captain showed me how leadership skills build character. As I became more comfortable with communicating and interacting with the other players, I learned that to be a leader takes time. Being a leader means taking control of a situation when it gets out of hand and working with others for the improvement of a greater good. By taking control on the court, I was able to communicate with my team in a way that allowed us to work well together during the games. 

As the seasons progressed, I accepted my role of team captain with confidence. Even though I did not win any championships, basketball has taught me about much more than winning. Basketball has given me the opportunity to grow as both a leader and team player. It has taught me that confidence is key and that leadership is the gateway to building a strong character. 


"...leaders will be those who empower others" ~ Bill Gates

No comments:

Post a Comment