Tuesday, March 18, 2014

To Teach Is To Learn

With all these summer job applications and fall leadership programs, one of the common positions of interest lie in the field of peer mentoring, or tutoring, of some sort. Whether it is in academics, social adjustment, or emotional instability, anyone can provide support to the community and act as a role model for others. 

During freshman year of high school, I grew a strong interest in wanting to mold myself into a leader for not only my family and peers, but also for my community. I hoped I could teach others and allow myself to learn from others in the process. Now, I'd always wanted to become a teacher growing up, so when my high school offered positions as a volunteer peer tutor, I couldn't resist the opportunity. I applied to be a mathematics peer tutor, specifically in Algebra (I find that ironic being that math isn't exactly my forte, but hey, why not?). 

Within a few weeks the head coordinator contacted me with the name of my first tutee --- a seventh grader who struggled with Pre-Algebra. We met up three times a week for 45 minutes to review homework problems, study for tests and quizzes, and understand the concepts being taught in class. To my surprise, being a teacher was hard, but fun.

After the student saw an improvement in his grade, I was assigned a different tutee. Again, we reviewed and studied various material. The pattern continued until the end of the school year, with me being assigned students from grades seven, eight, and nine. I had hoped to grow as not only a tutor, but also a mentor during my time as a high school student. 

Upon entering sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school, I continued my role as a peer tutor. However, I expanded my subject area from math to science to world language. As a high school student, I tutored Algebra, Biology, and Spanish levels 2, 3, and 4. I enjoyed tutoring Spanish the most because it allowed me to practice the language, as well as learn new vocabulary words and grammar. Through teaching, I was able to understand the concepts better since I was explaining them to someone else. As I was helping the student understand the grammar concepts, I, in turn, was reinforcing what I had already learned. I learned that to be a peer tutor means to not only be an active teacher, but to also be an active listener; thus, I was learning while teaching. 

Despite teaching and helping students as a peer tutor, I also got to learn about myself in the process. Before tutoring, I was a shy and quiet student who only knew how to interact with students of similar interests; however, peer tutoring brought me out of my shell. Because I was forced to communicate and interact with students of other grades, as well as interact with head coordinators and adults, I would say that I became more outgoing. I slowly grew more comfortable speaking with others and interacting with adults. Tutoring helped me express my opinions and actively put me in the spotlight as a teacher. When I tutor, I am both a mentor and role model for the student. I feel that I grew as an individual who has strengthened her listening and communication skills. 

Peer tutoring pushed me past my comfort zone and gave me the opportunity to fulfill the role of my teachers. Through my abilities to act as a mentor, I also learned the definition of being a true role model. As I built connections with my tutees, I understood that to be a peer tutor means to also be a mentor in which one can count on. The tutoring experience helped me understand why teachers are often looked to for inspiration and guidance. Many times, teachers will be cited as role models or leaders of the community who provide encouragement, support, and sincerity. No teacher expects one to think within the box, but encourages one to think outside the box in order to express his/her creativity and individuality. I hope that my role as a peer tutor has influenced my tutees to learn with an open mind and accept their struggles while finding their strengths. 

"In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn" ~ Phil Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment