Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Alternative Spring Break Journey: A Birthday Gift to Myself

After pushing through midterms and completing papers, exams, and projects, it's finally time for every college students' vacation: Spring Break. 

Usually, with the craziness of the semester, I relax at home and enjoy the beginnings of Spring; however, this is the year, I have decided to do something for myself and for the community. 

With that, I am kicking off my 21st year of life by traveling to Kitty Hawk and Outer Banks, North Carolina to volunteer with an awesome group of people. 

In North Carolina, we will be working with a local organization to help with coastal clean-up and to learn about wildlife preservation. 

Our journey began with a 10-hour road trip down to the coast of NC. Though it was a long car ride, it was nice to enjoy the bonding experience with my new peers whom I will be volunteering with. 

To me, service means more than just giving back to the community. It allows me to learn not only about a particular community, but also about myself. Through this experience, I hope I can reflect on my goals for my 21st year and explore the community that thrives in the oceans around us. I hope that I can continue to learn about my own dreams, passions, and goals for who I want to become. I see Alternative Spring Break as an opportunity that will provide me with the outlet to grow as an individual and as a member of the community. 
Photo credit: https://www.google.com/search?q=quotes+about+living&oq=quotes+about+living&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.8676j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=c7nO-mS_b5K3bM%3A

No comments:

Post a Comment