Friday, March 18, 2016

My Alternative Spring Break Journey: Highway Clean-up

Thursday provided me with the opportunity to clean up a highway, yet another new experience I have not done before.

Prior to cleaning up the highway, we learned about the length of time it takes for different items to decompose. 

For example, I learned that it takes a glass bottle, if littered, takes one million years to decompose. That is such a high number that I can't even imagine, and it is unbelieveable to think that a glass bottle can harm wildlife for one million years. 
This activity reinforced the importance of reduce, reuse, and recycle.
As we set out on the highway to pick up litter, I was shocked at the amount of trash that existed on the highway. For instance, there were items I would not have expected, like hypodermic needles and a car tire. Not only that, but for such a small strip of highway, there were a lot of items that served as a possibility to harm wildlife. I was surprised at the amount of trash that we collected within three hours. 
The amount of trash and recyclables we
found littering the highway after a half
day's work

Picking up litter from the highway made me realize how much trash people improperly throw away. As I saw the amount of trash we collected, I became disappointed in the fact that there was still so much trash left to be picked up. I became more aware of the fact that recycling and desposing items properly could change the life of one wildlife animal. It frustrated me to think that people toss trash out their windows without thinking about the impact it has on the environment. Prior to working on this highway clean-up, it has never occurred to me how much of an impact throwing away trash in proper disposal cans has on the environment. Not only am I working to protect wildlife, but I am helping to maintain a clean planet Earth. 

After the highway clean-up, we had the opportunity to speak with a commercial fisherman. He brought us out onto his boat and shared with us his life as a commercial fisherman. 
We learned about the fishing industry from a commercial fisherman.






It was interesting to hear about the work of a commercial fisherman because fishing is such a large employment sector for the Outer Banks. I was amazed at how he told us the migration pattern of fish has changed within the past few years. It made me realize the impact of global warming and how crucial it is for us, as citizens, to protect the Earth to help fish and other animals remain in their natural habitats. Furthermore, I was surprised at the fact that there are only 80 boats along the Eastern coast that go out and fish for one type of fish. For a large coastal line, it is hard to believe that there is little appreciation and understanding for fishermen and what they do. I have much appreciation for fishermen because they provide is with the fresh seafood we eat and make sure we are eating safe seafood. Talking with the fishermen has also made me realize the greater need for protecting wildlife because without a thriving wildlife, there would be a lack of reason for fishermen. If all the fish migrate elsewhere, then what will happen to the fishermen along the East Coast working to make a living? 

Both the litter clean-up and the opportunity to speak with the fisherman brought my attention to many issues, as I now have a greater experience with protecting the environment. 

All photos are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment