Thursday, March 17, 2016

My Alternative Spring Break Journey: Oyster Restoration

Wednesday began with a new experience as we worked with the NC Coastal Federation to bag oyster shells.

Oyster larvae, which attach to hard surfaces in order to mate and grow, enjoy attaching to the empty oyster shell.
Before we bagged oyster shells

In order to help facilitate the development of oyster larvae, the NC Coastal Federation bags empty oyster shells to put back into the ocean.

It is important to contribute to oyster restoration because it helps protect the baby larvae during its development stage. Bagging oysters shells was a unique experience for me, one that I have never done.
Our finished bagged shells

We worked with the Eastern Kentucky University students


The day's work highlighted the importance of teamwork and showed me the effects of utilizing everyone's strengths to the fullest. While working with students from the Eastern Kentucky University, I learned that teamwork is a valuable asset when it comes to bagging 500 oyster shells. The team got together and helped us achieve the task within a matter of three hours. 

All photos are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment